Monday, March 21, 2011

On March Madness

Did you see the Super Moon on Saturday night?  It was big and round and beautiful, at least here in the New England.  And it shone in the skylights of my house so brightly I thought it was morning.  You see, I was still up late into the night.  I was compelled to watch as much of every NCAA basketball game as possible... that's right, I've been struck by March Madness.

I've been a fan for most of my life.  My dad coached high school sports after college and he taught me what I know about the blitz, the zone defense and RBI's.  I went to undergrad at a school with a terrific football tradition, and I was proud to go to the every home game for 10 years straight.  When asked the hardest part of going away to seminary, I always replied, "Letting go of my season football tickets."  And I was serious.

I went to grad school at a place where basketball reigned supreme.  I watched in awe as students camped in tents in the snow to get tickets to important games at Cameron Indoor Stadium... and they were all important.  I experienced a national championship in football while at Clemson and one in basketball while at Duke.  I wear my school colors proudly, and am always happen at the result when they play one another.

But the further away I am from graduation, the more that the idea of the tournament draws me in.  People are putting themselves on the line, being the best they can be, and inspiring a whole other group of people in the process.  Sure, I'm pulling for Duke to win it all - but I stayed up until almost 1AM watching Florida State beat Notre Dame just because it was a good game. I am in awe of VCU - Virginia Commonwealth University - this year's dragon slayer, because even if we don't believe they can do it, they do.  I remember the NC State team from 1983, who came from no where to win it all with heart and guts and sheer willpower. 

My prayer for today is that I approach my faith life with as much enthusiasm and energy as I do my NCAA basketball bracket.  May my everyday actions be loving, kind, and of the sort that draw people closer to the living God who is the foundation of my life. 

And if this is a total rationalization, please love me anyway.

Peace, Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment