Thursday, June 6, 2013

Travel musings

I got up at O-dark thirty this morning for the day long trip back to South Carolina to visit my family and
attend Methodist Annual Conference for the first time in three years. I do have a good excuse for being absent these last few years... It's the first time since 2009 that I haven't had packers preparing us for a journey to a new part of life. And since we'll move again next year, I knew I had to make the trip while I could.

I also am excited to see my parents for the first time since my dad completed his chemo in March. He's doing well and I can't wait to explore the garden they have been working on all spring.

Since I've had a lot of time to think, maybe you know the answers to some of these questions.
  • What are the rules regarding the sharing of airplane armrests?
  • Why don't more airports carry Perrier?
  • Why do airports advertise free Wifi, except they want you to pay $4.95 to access anything more than the airport's website?
  • "Cheese Nips has real cheese. Original CHEEZ-IT doesn't." But I like CHEEZ-ITs better... I wonder why?
  • I get flying in yoga pants and flip flops, but what's the deal with jean miniskirts and 6 inch platform heels?
  • How airport laps will I have to do to work off the Auntie Anne's pretzel I had with (not for) lunch?
  • Where else but Nashville do you get live music at the airport food court?
Other observations:
  • I never want to read a real book more than when I see them displayed at an airport bookstore.
  • I love airports that have kid play areas... It seems that everyone is happier.
  • I just had my first coffee of the day (3:45pm) and I'm feeling much better.
===========
I know these are first world questions and observations and that there are different places to focus my energy. But sometimes you just have to get them out of your system before you can go on. The trick is not wallowing in your own "stuff", instead moving on to the life God is calling you to live.

I was listening to a song by King and Country. It's words sum up how I understand God is calling us to live.
So let my life be the proof,
The proof of Your love.
God has been good to me today, with lots more in store, I'm sure. 

Peace, Deb

My favorite moment of the day:  When I came out of the bathroom a few minutes ago, I saw a couple sporting bright orange T-shirts proclaiming "Clemson Mom" and "Clemson Dad". When I went to speak to them, the mom showed me a picture of the daughter, they just settled in to begin her PhD program there. She asked me to take their picture, then she asked to take mine. The American dream is still alive for that family.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Deb, fun blog post. LA told me you were in SC and I remembered the fun we had at your wedding. So I'll share some of my thoughts to answer some of your questions:
    - if you are stuck in the middle seat, you should get both arm rests. It's bad enough your trapped. Otherwise if it's a two seater, I say you share the arm rest as comfortably as possible.
    - How many laps for that pretzel? More than you likely have before the plane will leave you there. Stay away from Aunt Annie. She is not our friend.
    Hope you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon - I did have three hours before my next flight and managed to walk almost two miles with my backpack in tow... and I only ate half of the pretzel because it just tasted too sweet. I think Auntie Anne might have become that old friend from college who you have fond memories of but just don't see anymore. And yes, we had a great time at my SC wedding, which was in March, on purpose... hot and muggy here.

    ReplyDelete