Monday, January 2, 2012

Becoming a reader again...

I have not been a person to make New Year's resolutions... I'm not that much into setting myself up for disappointment or failure. So I haven't made a commitment to go to the gym or join Weight Watchers.  I did get a new FitBit for Christmas, which helps me track my steps and my movement.  Hopefully it will continue to be an encouragement for me as I strive toward a healthier lifestyle again this year.

I know what my strengths and limitations are.  I am good at the big picture... grabbing a vision of what should be happening and thinking of steps along the way.  I'm not as enchanted with the small details, although when I'm committed to the process it usually turns out well.  I also like making things with my hands, like pies and shawls, but not scrapbooking or painting.  I've loved making scarves and hat and the occasional purse or afghan for my friends and family, and have like quilting for my nieces and nephews.  It gives me a special feeling to make something useful for someone (although I have been told by several family members that they don't need any more scarves...)

All of this is a change for me.  Until the last couple of years I would have classified myself as a reader.  I have a whole bookcase full of books that I love so much I can't get rid of them... I want to make sure they are available to read again and again and again.  But lately I haven't been reading too many books.  Instead, I have been lured into the short read.  Articles, sermons and blogs have taken up most of my reading time, and mostly on my computer or IPod or phone.  I'll admit it, I've been lured away from books by the act of multitasking.  Often I can digest something small and still fit in a project or TV program or two.

Well, those days are over, my friends, or at least curtailed for a little while each week.  For today I committed to join with a group of friends to read one book a week for the next year... that's right... I am going to reclaim my place as a "reader" and read 52 books in the next year.  This task seems a little daunting, except that I already have a whole house full of books from which to choose.  So I am going to add to this feat by attempting to not purchase any book for reading.  If I'm not excited by what I have in the house, I'll go to the library or borrow from a friend.  I'll let you know how I'm doing.

And I'll let you know what I'm reading and what I'm thinking about what I read.  Don't worry - I won't stop reading articles and sermons and blogs for fun, but I'm excited that this has the potential to help me grow a little more this year.

This week's book is The Time of Our Lives by Tom Brokaw, a Christmas gift from my father-in-law, Tim.  I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.

Until then, have a wonderful week and Happy New Year!

Peace, Deb

" Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers."  - Harry S Truman

No comments:

Post a Comment