Sunday, March 13, 2022

Sermon - Pressing On (Lent 2C)

 Lent 2 C                                                                                         March 13, 2022
Philippians 3:17-4:1                                                            Panzer Liturgical Service

In 1971, I was confirmed in a Methodist church in SC congregation. I went to youth group with my friends, even attending church semi-regularly when I was in college… I’ll admit part of our motivation was eating the fancy brunch at the Clemson House with my meal card if I brought a church bulletin each week. After college, I settled in nearby Anderson and worked as a blood bank technologist at the local hospital. I joined a small UMC congregation in a crossroads called Wild Hog, near Pendleton, and with a group of youth and other volunteers, spent my summers immersed in the Conference’s youth mission camps.

Eventually, I heard the call, first as a Lay Speaker, then as a candidate for ordained ministry. My years at Duke were wonderful, expanding my knowledge and growing my faith. In 1993, I was ordained as an Elder in the South Carolina Conference. I thought that might be the most exciting thing that would ever happen to me. And then I fell in love with this tall, handsome Air Force pilot and life was never the same. In 1995, we got married with the belief that we could serve God better together than apart. 27 years later, we still think that's true, but there have been detours and bumps along the way.

When we moved to Stuttgart, Germany in 2014, it was our 11th military move. I am amazed at the places and ways I have been able to serve God and the church, both thru appointment and as a volunteer. But there was a particularly difficult period in my life during our third Air Force move. In IL and ND, I was able to secure appointments, but in NJ, that didn't work out. For the first time in my adult life, I was not earning a paycheck. I was not a leader in a congregation. People only knew me as someone's wife, and as great as that is, it didn't feel like enough.

Sundays came and I didn't want to go to church. In hindsight, I realize that I was angry with God and maybe even with my husband that my call to ministry had been interrupted. And then on one gorgeous September morning, the world went crazy, and only 90 miles away from our base, the events of 9/11 unfolded before us.

Within a few minutes, my neighbors and new friends were calling me to ask me questions of faith. "How could God let this happen?" "What do I tell my children?" and "Where do we go from here?" When we planned a neighborhood prayer meeting, they looked to me for guidance. And when that group turned into a weekly PWOC bible study, I realized that this was my next call. God hadn't made a mistake at all; it just took a lot longer than I hoped.

It's easy to get caught in our preconceived notions about the future. Are we going to the right schools? Have we chosen the right careers? We want the perfect house in the best neighborhood with the most amazing car sitting in our three-car garage with our amazing kids and pets by our sides.

None of these things are wrong, but this part of Paul's letter to the Philippians reminds us it is actually what people see us doing that speaks volumes about who we are. We can say that we are Christian, reciting scripture left and right, but if we are not living out the Good News every day, the power of that proclamation is lost. Being a Christian is more than just claiming Christ. It's about becoming more like Christ through actions and works to point to Jesus. Paul's letter to the Philippians was written to help them stand fast and grow amid a secularized culture. Here are some things he tells them and us about how to live an authentic, fruitful faith.

First, the life of faith is a life of transformation. We have to be willing to grow into our faith. My roots in the Anglican and Methodist traditions are especially helpful here. John Wesley claimed to be a Christian long before he had a personal experience of faith. He served as an Anglican priest in several places, always exacting a strong amount of discipline on his parishioners, so much that it got him expelled from the colony of Georgia in North America under the cover of darkness, leaving his Savannah congregation behind.

But he did not stay that stubborn and willful. People related to the Wesleyan tradition celebrate May 24th as Aldersgate Day. In his journal entry from that night, he claimed his heart was "strangely warmed," grasping the notion that Jesus didn't just die for the whole world, but for each one of us individually. That was his turning point. The rest of his ministry was focused on first helping people turn to Christ, and then growing into their faith by intentional discipleship.

So, what is intentional discipleship? If you play a musical instrument, you have to practice to get better. If you want to be a better cook or a better athlete or a better parent, you are only able to do that if you keep working to make progress toward perfection. The same is true for the life of faith. Paul calls that "pressing on." Choosing Jesus is easy. Living a life of faithful discipleship is hard. It takes courage. It takes practice. We keep pressing on, even when we don’t feel like it, even if others work against us, even when we’re not sure we believe anymore. The good news is this: God still believes in us.

Second, we come from traditions that understand the life-long nature that the life of faith calls us to. The moment of our belief/understanding/acceptance of God and Jesus is important. But they are not the end of our journey – they are important but do not define us. The faith journey is ongoing. It is a process. Sanctification is the process that fine-tunes us for God’s use. It helps us practice the ways that we put God and others first, considering our own wants later. And it is ongoing.

Next week, our Confirmation class will think about what this kind of life might look like. We will look at spiritual gifts and spiritual disciplines. I often remember how I rebelled when I figured out what my spiritual gifts were. Teaching was among them – I didn’t want to be a teacher. Anyone can be a teacher, I thought (erroneously, of course.) But once I leaned into the gift, in concert with my spiritual gifts for Faith and Shepherding, I found a joy in my faith journey that opened up activities and relationships I would have never explored otherwise.

Wesley’s vision of “pressing on” went by the name Christian Perfection. This did not mean that we are expected to live perfectly. We all make mistakes and bad choices. But we are supposed to be going toward perfection. That doesn’t mean never breaking the rules. We should be trying to get better as we move forward in faith, living for Christ. It does mean we take seriously Jesus’ command to love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love our neighbor as ourselves (Mark 12:28-31). Pressing on is about growing in faith so that we can become "whole" - and more fully the people that God created us to be.[i]

The third way Paul challenges the Philippians is to meet people where they are, not where we want them to be. The Gentile converts in Philippi were being required to follow Jewish dietary laws, of which Paul was highly critical (See Acts 15). Instead of placing an extraordinary burden on those around us, he calls us to be imitators of him and Christ in our relationships with those around us. Sometimes this means hanging out with people and in places that make us uncomfortable.

My work with families and youth in some of the most impoverished communities in SC taught me that God is most real and present in those places, and even more so to the helpers than to those being helped. Think about how must trust it takes to invite teenagers, ministers, adult volunteers with power tools to come and work on your home. It also takes a lot of faith to go into a community very different from your own and experience God in the relationships you can build there, but only if you press into uncomfortable, God-filled places.

I last preached on this passage in February of 2016 at the church where I was confirmed and raised as a young person. At that time, Germany had received over 750,000 persons as the war raged in Syria. Resources were taxed, and many folks had difficulty assimilating into the uber-structured society. But the German community kept surprising us at their willingness to help these families and individuals make new lives and homes here. Many churches chose to take a “friendship” approach to ministry with their new neighbors, not a salvation approach. And even in the first year, many churches reported ongoing conversations with unchurched migrants asking how to have a relationship with Christ, responding to the gift of hospitality freely offered.[ii]

Six years later, we have a new exodus in Europe, again because of war. Once again, families will be moving into our communities to make new, sometimes permanent, lives. In our village newspaper this week, we had an appeal to homeowners to make houses, apartments, and even rooms available for short and long-term use by citizens of Ukraine. They also left with only what they could carry in their hands and on their backs. But many of them also bring with them their Christian identity, as Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox Christians. They will be seeking Christian community, and once again, we will be asked to offer them the gift of friendship, as we seek to be and see Christ in the world.

We are never too far from redemption. God is waiting for us, even seeking us, to follow him down the road. He is not only waiting for us to turn to him like a father sitting by the door after a long absence, but God is actively pursuing us and present with us along the road – like on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-35). When we look through his eyes at the world around us, we see all the ways that we can be the hands and feet and voice of Christ's love in the world.[iii]

As Christians, we are called to be imitators of Christ. While this doesn’t often make our lives easier, and often pushes us far outside our comfort zones, it is what the call of Christ is all about. Will Willimon and Stanley Hauerwas wrote a book over 30 years ago that has stayed with me, called Resident Aliens. They argue that God calls us to be part of a Christian colony in the midst of the world, not just to get people to heaven, but to live lives that model the love of Christ. Rather than try to convince others to change their ethics, Christians should model a new set of ethics that are grounded in the life, death, and resurrection of Christ.”[iv]

Our biggest challenges will often be the work of building bridges when it feels safer to build up walls. Our citizenship in the Kingdom of God doesn’t just ask us but requires us to build bridges when it feels more natural to put up walls. Paul reminds us to keep our eyes on the prize, press on, and stand firm in Christ... if that isn't a lifetime's work, I don't know what is.

Paul gives concrete advice to the Philippians as the letter closes:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

Thanks be to God.

Amen.                                                             

Peace, Deb

(c) Deb Luther Teagan

[i] http://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/a-plain-account-of-christian-perfection/
[ii] http://www.umc.org/news-and-media/how-a-church-overcomes-hostility-to-christianity, also http://www.umc.org/how-we-serve/german-bishop-on-migrants-meet-people-not-problems and http://www.umc.org/how-we-serve/united-methodists-in-germany-welcome-refugees
[iii] Joseph Yoo, WHEN YOU REALLY WANT TO WEAR A MASK TO CHURCH, Ministry Matters, 2/15/2016 (http://www.ministrymatters.com/)
[iv] Robb McCoy, Pulpit Fiction Podcast, https://www.pulpitfiction.com/notes/lent2c/#Philippians3=

 

 

I take my identity documentation very seriously. For the last 27 years, I have carried a card identifying me as a dependent of a member of the US Armed Forces. On any given day, I may be asked to show this card between 3 and 8 times, depending on where I am going and what services I require. I have a US and a European driver's license. And because I live outside the boundary of US borders, on most days I travel with my US passport and my SOFA card (Status of Forces Agreement). The first one gives me permission to live in Germany as a sponsored foreign resident. The second allows me to travel outside of German, where I hopefully broaden my understanding of the world.

But however important my US citizenship and documentation are, they say anything about what kind of person I am. Even the things I say about myself paint only a partial picture. More than anything, people know me by the way I behave, and whether the things I say about who I am match the way I live.

 

To build up our spiritual gifts, we practice our faith in many different ways. Among those activities were bible study, enthusiastic worship, personal prayer and devotion time, Christian conversation, and service to those in need. We are also called to be accountable to one another. John Wesley never meant to start a new church or denomination, but asked his parishioners to join Class Meetings as a way to keep humble and keep active in the faith. He believed that our willingness to confess our shortcomings is just as important (or maybe even more so) as our willingness to proclaim Jesus as our Lord and Savior. As we develop Christian friendships and share both our joys and our failings, we are able to see how and where God is calling us to live and serve. Sometimes others see things in us we cannot see.

No comments:

Post a Comment