Sunday, February 16, 2014

Lessons from "The Monuments Men"...

I have only seen the movie, but I am quite enamored with the story of the Monument Men. The movie shares the story of 8 soldiers and one museum employee, but in truth almost 350 men and women worked to right the wrongs created by "the greatest theft in history."  In fact, I am so intrigued, that I have requested the book from several library systems, both in print and electronically. Apparently others are also intrigued to read more about it.  I am currently 166 of 176th in line for the 29 copies in the library system.

Just a little background: The Monuments Men were art, architecture and culture experts who were charged by the US President with finding, recovering and returning precious art objects when it became evident that the Nazi regime was removing (stealing) them from private collections, museums and churches. They did all of this as members of the US, French and British Armies, and as private citizens. They did this with only the resources they could scrounge up for themselves. They did this when almost every superior officer they encountered told them 1- no one would tell them what they could and could not blow up, and 2 - works of art were not worth risking a man's life. And yet they were relentless in their pursuit of millions of the world's most classic works of art.

Have you seen the Mona Lisa, Michelangelo's David or the Madonna and child statue at the Church of Our Lady in Bruge, Belgium? Have you every visited a major museum in the US - in Washington, DC or Chicago or Minneapolis? If so, you have benefited from the work of the Monument Men.

This wasn't the best movie I have ever seen. But it has probably made me think more than most. And it has inspired me to read more, to know more, to talk more about their mission and their successes and how they have affected me.

I'm thinking that this is also the way I should be living out my faith, taking on tasks and ministries which may not seem like my responsibility, but doing it for the greater good, and because it's the right thing.

At the end of the movie, President Truman asked the main character if it was worth it, loosing good people all in the pursuit of recovering art.  I'm pretty sure that's the question many ask about why we go to Haiti or the Sudan in the midst of natural and political crisis, why we open our churches for sleeping as people transition from homelessness, and why we love outside out comfort zones.

Is it worth it?  When I think of the sacrifice made of my behalf, all I can say is, "It's the least I can do."  Now, all I have to do is go out and be faithful to the call.

Peace, Deb

"What Clooney has crafted in The Monuments Men is a movie about aspiration, about culture at risk, about things worth fighting for. I'd call that timely and well worth a salute." - Rolling Stone Magazine

The Art Army - Harvard Magazine
The True Story of the Monuments Men - Smithsonian.com

No comments:

Post a Comment