Sunday, March 31, 2013

What I learned from "Lent in Pictures 2013"


I took the challenge - for my Lenten discipline I documented a photo a day, using this list as my inspiration.  Initially, I was concerned because here in our little corner of Washington State, I didn't know how I would find a picture to go with each of these themes.  But it only took a couple of days to realize that I didn't need to take any new pictures.  I had at my disposal the photographic record of many of the most places and happenings of my life, at least in the last twenty years.

And so I decided to use these pictures as a way of remembering how God has been with me in my life, in happy times and sorrowful, in obvious ways and in hidden ways that I could only see when I combed through my memory and hopefully found a picture to match.

What an amazing journey!  Through our pictures, I realized that I am very, very blessed.  My life doesn't really look like what I imagined, as I have said before... becoming a pastor, marrying into the military, moving so much that my minister friends can't keep up with me, living outside the US... yeah, non of that was in my plan.

And yet, at every turn, I can see the hand of God.  In nature, in friendships, in ministry opportunities that I never asked for - sometimes I didn't really want.  But God used me - then and now - and I am at peace.

This Lenten season I learned that looking into the past, we can see the promises of God unfolding before us.  Blessings that didn't look much like much at the time are now our most treasured experiences, opening the door to new fields of mission and ministry, and flooded with the presence of the Holy Spirit, just as Jesus promised.  I think that I will call this Lenten journey, "Perspective," for I have been reminded once again, "God is good... all the time."

Many blessings for a joyous fifty days of Easter!

Peace, Deb

John 14:27  [Jesus said,] "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. (New Revised Standard Version - 1989)





No comments:

Post a Comment