Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Moving on... again & and a few Thank You's

Summer is just around the corner, and for the third year in a row we will be packing up our worldly possessions and moving to a new life.  It's a great thing. My husband has received a wonderful Air Force assignment, and we are really looking forward to all of the new friendships and challenges ahead.

That being said, I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks.  It's the actually moving part that is hard for me.  It's physically challenging - and this year we're in a three story house so there will be LOTS of stairs.  There's the saying "goodbye" to all of my friends, old and new.  There's the 3000 mile drive, although we will get to see family, friends and new sights along the way, so it's not a total negative.  And then there's the unpacking part - finding a place for all of our stuff.  Add to that learning the new place, new roads, and making new friendships along the way... it's really quite overwhelming to think about.

All of this can be quite draining, both physically and emotionally.  And yet, we have done this long enough to know that it will be OK.  Even the locations which seemed to be less desirable were filled with the most amazing blessings.  And everywhere we have made or resumed wonderful friendships, seen amazing sights, and left to go on to new endeavors much richer than when we came.

We hear a lot of negative news these days.  Many people think that our society has lost some of its luster...  that we are not the people we used to be.  But I will continue to believe in the goodness of people, of the possibility of community, and in the promise of the future because I have experienced it so many times in the past.  I know that this new journey is not a gift to be presented to me, but something that I will not just participate in, but throw myself into full force.  That doesn't mean that I am without fear, but I also know that I do not go alone.

I am so thankful for all of the people who support me along this journey of life and faith.  It's those friendships and acquaintances which make all of this moving around worth the struggle and the really hard work.  I love my military spouse friends.  I am in awe of your strength, your bravery, and your willingness to share your lives with people you know will move away some day soon.  I am convinced that Facebook and Skype were invented for us, so that we could be a family even if we are far apart.

I love my church and ministry friends.  You pray for me, teach me, challenge me, and expect me to be faithful to my call to love and serve.  I could not do this without you.  Please remember me and know that I remember and love each of you.  You are a blessing and a force to be reckoned with in this world.

And then there's my family, by birth and by marriage.  Most of you didn't choose me, but make the best of sometimes rocky relationships and living far apart.  I am so glad that we continue to matter to one another.  And I look forward to our love growing stronger as our time together goes on.  I can't even begin to talk about my wonderful spouse, who woke up one day and said, "I've got to marry her!"  It's been quite the journey, and I'm sure the best is yet to come.

And last, but not least, here's to the friends who are yet unknown.  Our time is yet to come, but I have a feeling it will be great if we will give it half a chance. See you soon!

Peace, Deb

Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly  knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence. 
  Pope John Paul II

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things,  because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. 
Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment